Pretty Woman - Memorable Scenes & Quotes
Some of my favourite scenes and quotes from Pretty Woman.
- Pretty Woman
- 1) In the car after Edward has picked Vivian up whilst looking for Beverly Hills.
- 2) The necklace scene before going to the Opera
- 3) In the bath where Edward is telling Vivian all about his father and his business
- 4) Whilst waiting for the lift with a snooty couple looking down their nose at Vivian
- 6) After Edward has taken Vivian to watch Opera
- 7, 8 & 9) After Vivian tells Edward how poorly she was treated whilst clothes shopping, Edward takes her to a fashion boutique
- 10) Not really a scene but it is the final words of the movie
Whilst "Pretty Woman" is memorable for a lot of things from the "Pretty Woman" Soundtrack through to the pairing of Julia Roberts & Richard Gere. It is also memorable for the combination of wonderful scenes and witty dialogue. It is quite literally littered with memorable scenes from the divot stomping at the polo match through to the first time we see Julia Roberts, stretched out in lingerie on her hotel bed.
Here are a few of my favourite "Pretty Woman" scenes and quotes which for me make it such a fun movie.
1) In the car after Edward has picked Vivian up whilst looking for Beverly Hills.
Edward: Tell me, what kind of… what kind of money you girls make these days? Ballpark.
Vivian: Can't take less than a hundred dollars.
Edward: Hundred dollars a night?
Vivian: For an hour.
Edward: An hour? You make a hundred dollars an hour and you got a safety pin holding your boot up? You gotta be joking.
Vivian: I never joke about money.
Edward: Neither do I.
He turns to her.
Edward: Hundred dollars a hour. Pretty stiff.
She reaches over into his lap.
Vivian: Well, no… but it's got potential.
2) The necklace scene before going to the Opera
Whilst the scene where Edward presents Vivian with a $250,000 necklace to wear for the night has dialogue it's the fact it was spontaneous which makes it so special. When Richard Gere snaps the lid down it wasn't scripted and Julia Roberts out burst of laughter was a pure natural reaction making it such a brilliant scene.
3) In the bath where Edward is telling Vivian all about his father and his business
Vivian: Did I mention… my leg is 44 inches from hip to toe, so basically, we're talkin' about…
She wraps her legs around Edward.
Vivian: … 88 inches of therapy… wrapped around you, for the bargain price of…
Edward and Vivian: in unison … three thousand dollars!
4) Whilst waiting for the lift with a snooty couple looking down their nose at Vivian
Vivian: Oh honey you know what's happened I got a runner in my pantyhose, I'm not wearing pantyhose!
5) The lift again when it arrives and the door opens
Vivian: Well, color me happy! There's a sofa in here for two!
6) After Edward has taken Vivian to watch Opera
Lady: Did you enjoy the opera, dear?
Vivian: Oh, it was so good, I almost peed my pants!
Vivian walks off.
Edward: She said she liked it better than The Pirates of Penzance.
7, 8 & 9) After Vivian tells Edward how poorly she was treated whilst clothes shopping, Edward takes her to a fashion boutique
Edward: You see this young lady over here?
Edward: Do you have anything in this shop as beautiful as she is?
Hollister: Oh, yes.
Edward gives Hollister a look.
Hollister: Oh, no! No, no! No. I'm saying we have many things as beautiful as she… would want them to be! babbling That's the point I was getting at. And I think we can all agree with that. That's why, when you came in here, you knew from the first—
Edward: You know what we're gonna need here? We're going to need a few more people helping us out. I'll tell you why. We are going to be spending an obscene amount of money in here. So we're going to need a lot more help sucking up to us, 'cause that's what we really like.
Edward: You understand that.
Hollister: Sir, if I may say so, you're in the right store, and the right city, for that matter!
Hollister: Exactly how obscene an amount of money were you talking about? Just… profane, or really offensive?
Edward: Really offensive.
Hollister: to himself I like him so much.
Hollister: Mr. Lewis? How's it going so far?
Edward: Pretty well, I think. I think we need some major sucking up.
Hollister: Very well, sir. You're… not only handsome, but a powerful man. I could see the second you walked in here, you were someone to reckon with…
Hollister: Yes, sir?
Edward: Not me. Her.
10) Not really a scene but it is the final words of the movie
Welcome to Hollywood! What's your dream? Everybody comes here; this is Hollywood, land of dreams. Some dreams come true, some don't; but keep on dreamin' - this is Hollywood. Always time to dream, so keep on dreamin'.