Steamed Brown Sugar Cupcake / Brown Sugar Huat Kuih
No electrical beater, no oven needed for this easy and yummy steamed brown sugar cupcake…
I have always been wanted to use my steamer to make some cupcakes, especially the “Huat” kuih. “Huat” means prosperity in Chinese.
Just right today is a Public holiday, Hari Raya Haji, that’s means I could stay at home to cook and make some prosperity cupcakes..
Simple recipe is what I want for my cake today. This is the first time I tried making this Steamed Brown Sugar Cupcake, it is also called Brown Sugar Huat Kuih in Malaysia. Can’t believe it is so easy to make, the ingredients needed are also much lesser than many cupcakes.
* 100 ml hot water
* 50 gm brown sugar
* 130 gm self-raising flour
* 25 gm coconut cream/coconut milk
Equipments: 10 cupcake paper cups and 10 cupcake molds.
1. Preheat the steamer;
2. Bring the water to boil, dissolve the brown sugar in the hot water;
3. Sieve the self-raising flour in a big bowl, add in coconut cream/coconut milk;
4. sieve in the brown sugar syrup slowly into the flour and mix until you get a gluey batter;
5. scoop and fill the batter into paper cupcakes, 3/4 full;
6. steam for 25 – 30 minutes, the top of the steamed cupcakes will break open (we called it “smile”). Some of my cupcake do not “smile” but they are alright so long as they are cooked.
Happy cake making!!