The Magic that was: "Film Theme Music"
The second Chapter in my "The Magic that was" music series, this time I look at Movie themes, join me on my trip to the cinema.
- Film Sweet Charity Song "The Rhythm of Life"
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- The Pink Panther
- A lot of writers ask me "how to add a youtube video into their text, this is how you do it.
- Have a go at writing
Film Sweet Charity Song "The Rhythm of Life"
Following on from my article "The Magic that was Hoagy Carmichael" I thought I would do the same treatment with some of my favourite Movie theme music.
I have far too many to list them all, so I will feature just four of what I think are the best, or at least somewhere at the top of my list, OK so here we go with the first one, I have chosen not a theme song,but a song from the film “Sweet Charity” it was sung by Sammy Davis Jr. who plays Big Daddy.
The film is about a Taxi Dancer “Charity” played by Shirley MacLaine who has a string of failed romances until she meets “Oscar” who is played by John McMartin, I love the slight jazzy touch the song sends out. I know this isn't the films theme song, but this is so good I cheated, hope you don't mind too much
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Number two in my list of favourite film themes come’s “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” the music was by Ennio Morricone who also wrote the music for over 500 films and television programs including “A Fistful of Dollars”,” For a Few Dollars More”, and “Once Upon a Time in the West”
This is the film with Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach, with that image of Clint walking down the main street, a small cigar in the corner of his mouth and that poncho straddle over him was so powerful. Hope you like the clip.
My next choice is a 1971 “Black cop” film fighting the White Mafia, starring Richard Roundtree as the main character John Shaft.
The music was written by Isaac Hayes and J. J. Johnson and made a Grammy Award for Best Original Score and an Academy Award for Best Original Song.
I love the way the song starts with a sixteenth-note hi-hat ride pattern, and also the use of the guitar "wah-wah effect"
Sorry I got all musical there, but I am sure when you listen once again to this theme you will know just what I mean.
The Pink Panther
I did consider quite a few others for my forth choice including
- The Pretty Woman theme - " by Roy Orbison,
- Jailhouse Rock” Elvis Presley Another Ennio Morricone song this time from
- The Magnificent Seven,
- And Windmills Of Your Mind sung by Noel Harrison from the 1968 film “Thomas Crown Affair”
But I plumbed for a film that had me laughing until I hurt. The song was the Pink Panther Theme Song
Some of the others I could have picked were
- West Side Story "America" - Herb Alpert
- Strictly Ballroom - "Love Is In the Air" - John Paul Young
- War of the Worlds - "Forever Autumn" - Justin Hayward
- Dead Calm - Wimoweh (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) - Tight Fit
Feel free to add your favourites, I bet you have a few.
A lot of writers ask me "how to add a youtube video into their text, this is how you do it.
- Find the youtube you want to feature.(Lets say you want "the Lion sleeps Tonight")
- This is the address http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8milJNj_W0
- Copy the last bit I have put in bold O8milJNj_W0
- Place the code within square brackets like this [O8milJNj_W0]
- Make sure there are no gaps, it won't work if you have gaps
And there you have it, easy inti. this is how it will look,(Remember the more videos you have in your piece the slower it will load,) I would recommend no more then one, I didn't have much choice with this article.
Have a go at writing
Join Wikinut and have fun writing
Write what you like, withing reason join Wikinut,send your masterpiece in to us and we will publish it for you, its that simple.
Wikinut is regarded as the best on-line site for budding writers,
- Its easy to use,
- Allows you to use pictures and youtube clips,
- It gives you FREE tools to complement your writing.
- We have REAL people moderating your work that you can contact for help
- And Wikinut is fun, we have a great community of writers who can talk to each other.
- AND we pay you as well, OK so you might not become a millionaire with on-line writing but its still nice, after you have reach your target, to get that amount paid into your PayPal account each month
- Lets face it you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, go for it sign up TODAY